Sunday 25 March 2012

SPRING ARMADILLO

The Spring Armadillo has emerged from its cosy armadillo house to tell you about books. 





(This means that the new issue of Armadillo Magazine is online. Obviously.)


You can check out all the reviews, interviews & children's books news here, but I thought I would give you a short round up of my reviews for this issue, because the books I was sent were rather awesome. 


15 DAYS WITHOUT A HEAD by Dave Cousins
Oxford University Press
The pages of Dave Cousins' book are packed with humour and heartbreak. It is a story of two boys' struggle to keep things normal when their mum abandons them. Here's my Armadillo review.




THE SUPER ANIMAL ADVENTURE SQUAD by James Turner
David Fickling Books
Another comic caper for the DFC Library, featuring a monkey with a jewelled bum and a gloriously dim-witted chameleon. Go on, read my review.


WONDER by R. J. Palacio
Bodley Head
The story of the ordinary boy with the extraordinary face is one that you won't forget in a hurry. It is a humorous and emotional book that says a lot about the power of small acts of kindness. Here is my review.




CINDER by Marissa Meyer
Puffin
You know the story of Cinderella, right? About the ball, and the prince, and how she lost her shoe, and how she's a cyborg in a future where Earth is threatened with an alien invasion? NO? Oh well you'd better read this book then. Why not start with my review



Interviews with FUNNY PEOPLE Ros Asquith, Jeanne Willis and Ciaran Murtagh, as a result of Piccadilly Press's COMEDY NITE



Interview with Christopher Edge, author of TWELVE MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
I have also reviewed this fab tale of Victorian sleuthery and spookery here.





Feature on Retellings
Inspired by the upcoming FOUR CHILDREN AND IT by Jacqueline Wilson, I had a few musings on retelling the classics






Event report from launch of DARK PARTIES by Sara Grant
Back in January I went to a not-at-all-dark-but-actually-very-nice party for the launch of Sara Grant's teen-spirited dystopian thriller. 





No comments:

Post a Comment